I would not recommend acupuncture in the following situations. However herbs might be effective and appropriate instead of needles in some of these circumstances.
- With acute problems for which no Western medical attention has yet been sought (for example: emergencies, a potential fracture, asthma attack, bleeding, blood in the stools, stabbing pain in the body);
- If you are dizzy, feint or under-fed;
- If you have severe low blood pressure;
- If you have recently experienced hemorrhaging or blood loss; or
- If you have a bleeding disease or hemophilia;
Lastly, although acupuncture is ideal for assisting post-op after a surgery, it is generally a good idea to let your body recover from the process of the surgery for ten to thirty days depending on the severity of the surgery.